Skip to main content

Problems with map display...

I spent a total of about 4 hours trying to find out why my map wasn't displaying properly.
Turns out there was nothing wrong with my code, or my shader, the problem was in the imprecision of the floating point numbers used to scale the UVs and the default use of sRGB color space by blender.


(top left) This is similar to what I was getting, obviously not right, but I couldn't figure out why.  
(top right) Using data from the map each square is given a red color from 0-255.
(bottom left) There are 16 possible arrangements of tile and the red color offsets the UVs of that tile by a set amount.
(bottom right) The rather unimpressive final base result.

When scaling UVs Blender avoids imprecision in floating point number by just rounding up to a more suitable number, so 0.0625 becomes 0.063. This is fine usually, as you don't really care about pixel perfect placement in most applications. But when your total image is only 32 pixels across it can cause issues as 1 divided by 16 is NOT 0.063! Easy to solve, I had to add a second modifier after the offset to correct the rounding. But I didn't even know about this problem until I had solved the second one...

Blender uses sRGB color space by default. This is fine as nearly every application does these days. But the above method relies on linear color distribution, each color must map exactly to its true value or the offset will be wrong. This was solved by switching color management for the offending texture to simple RGB color space. Sadly the setting for this is hidden away in a collapsed tab in the texture settings, so I only thought about it after a lot of time wasted modifying code and testing other solutions.

So finally, the map display works. However... I'm not sure I like the result. :(
It's great that I solved the problem though as I can use this method in Vinland 1936 for texturing the terrain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vinland 1936

What have I been up to this month?

Well you can see it in a couple of development blog videos, here, here and here.

Vinland 1936 is a game I've been working on (on and off) for about 3 years. It is somewhat based on the old Nirval interactive game, Blitzkrieg;





I hope you've played it since it is one of the best games ever!!! (IMHO)
Blitzkrieg was a real time tactics game. You didn't build a base, or spawn units. It wasn't about rushing the enemy. You got a small number of troops and vehicles that could be replenished or repaired if you had access to a supply base and the right supply trucks, but couldn't be replaced if lost. Once your vehicles were destroyed and your infantry killed you were finished. You couldn't just churn out some more from your factory and have another go at rushing the enemy guns. This made you invest a lot in each of your units. They really mattered.

It was also procedurally generated. Each mission (except for the historical missions) was…

Reboot / Remake / Restart

Although the roguelike project was going well I had a few issues with some parts of the code, and the sheer size of the project was something I could see stretching away in front of me for years with no guarantee that people would actually want to play it when it's finished.

It's time to try something a little less ambitious.
I'm going full rogueLITE!

Using a lot of the code from the roguelike project, I started making a more limited game.
There will be a single character, combat will be more arcade like, there will still be a chance to upgrade and develop your character's stats, but they represent only a single class and have fixed equipment.

I've got a fun character, an interesting setting and an exciting story lined up. It still utilizes my low poly style, but things are going to be a little more cartoony.

Game play involves mostly chucking bombs at the enemy.

But there's also a lot of platforming, jumping from multiple levels is part of the game. And you ca…

Materials.

I'm currently working on the inventory and items system.
I've got a good idea of how it's going to work, and I've made a few test demos in blender so I know how it should fit together, but one area I had some trouble with is how to make the items more interesting.

I don't want to have just sword +1, necklace of AC +5 etc... I want items to feel like they are unique. So I'll be designing a few base item types and then having them generate some qualities.



The first quality is status. An old broadsword, or a rusty helm. Or spoiled meat. These will be limited by item type, so you don't end up with rusty meat or rancid chain-mail. They add a modifier to elements of the item's stats, either a positive or a negative modifier.

The second quality is wear and tear. This is more dynamic since it can change, as you take or deal damage. This might not be seen in the item's name, but rather in a status bar or something. However, it could cause the item to lose so…