Skip to main content

Viewports

Treasures of the deep dwellers is not a triple A game. It's going to be pretty old fashioned, with a small viewport and a map on the same screen. Much of the rest of the screen is going to play host to the UI which will have a lot of the stuff you need all on one screen.

I love the great graphics of modern games like Legend of Grimrock, but the blender game engine isn't really up to the task of making games of that caliber. I also don't have that much time to devote to asset creations, meaning my game simply wouldn't look as good even if I was as talented as the guys from the major studios.

Anyway, after working on the viewports I found happily that it greatly increases the performance of the game. Rasterizer usage is way down, and the viewports mechanism also allows people with slower computers to reduce the resolution of the viewport without changing the main window. If you wanted you could ramp it way up too and enjoy my dated graphics.

After a few tries I managed to get the viewports to render without mipmapping, so the output is now nice and crisp. This will be great in my other games too since they were suffering a bit from blurry maps.

What you can see above is the base map colors. The colors will be fed in to a shader and replaced with wall and floor images. The result will be nice hand drawn style maps.

I like the idea of having both the first person view and a map view, so you can play it kind of like a roguelike and a dungeon crawler at the same time.

Generation of items is coming along nicely.


I need to make some changes to the code to make some of the attributes more meaningful, for example a 10% increase to weight is not a meaningful amount on something that weighs only 1kg, and a 5% increase in sharpness does nothing when the current sharpness value is 2.

Also the items need to be simplified. Right now they have too many stats, I really want this game to create complex from the interactions of simple elements, not by making everything complex.

I need to spend some more time developing this part, to make sure it does what it's supposed to be doing; making it important to have the right tool for the job so that you don't end up with one all purpose weapon and no real need to pick up any other loot.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative.

Telling a story; Creating a Compelling Narrative. In this blog I will talk about my own recent brush with story telling and go on to talk about how tools from creative wring can help you to better author the narrative in your games, whether they have a traditional linear narrative or a procedurally generated interactive narrative.

Narrative and structure in traditional fiction  last week I started writing a story set in the world I'm developing for my game Vinland: 1936.

I hope the story will help me to flesh out my game world and develop my own expanded universe which will be a good place to set my games in the future.

After about a week of work, on and off I've progressed the story to outline stage. For each character thread I have half a dozen chapters which plot a course through the events of the story. Each thread is told from the perspective of a different character.


Actually I started writing as soon as I had my outline, but I've since gone back and deleted what …

Back to Vinland.

I'm going back to my real time tactics project, Vinland 1936.
While working on the other project I overcame the problems which were stopping me from saving/loading the game and also cleaned up the base code a lot.

After a few weeks I'm getting near the the state I was in before.


Infantry are back to their previous state, and vehicles are running OK.
This time I'm going to push ahead with mocking up the combat system though before I work any more on the vehicle builder or graphical aspects of the game.

Map screen designs

I've been working some more on the map window. Right now you can only see the base, it doesn't show items, enemies or even doors on the map yet. These would be decals.


In the top window you can see the modified result of last night's tile based map. It looks good but there are some visual artifacts related to the problems I encountered yesterday, and as well it takes much more code and time to calculate.

The second window uses a cheap trick to fake an beveled look from a smoothed version of the 32x32 map. It uses black to mask unexplored areas.

Finally the third version is meant to look like a had drawn map. I'm using a cross hatching texture to distort it and unexplored areas are shown as blank map paper.

There's going to be a mechanic in game where you need to use some paper every level in order to activate the map for that level. From there it will fill it in automatically. Paper will be pretty rare so it might be worth keeping it safe for the more complex level…