Skip to main content

Orcs.

I came across an interesting book in the school Library at work yesterday. It was a copy of the Hobbit translated in to Korean. In the introduction it showed some amazing illustrations from different versions of the book from around the world. Look at these different versions of the book to see what I mean.



It made me think about how I want to depict monsters in my game. I had been avoiding adding Orcs to the game because I didn't want to go with the D&D style orcs, or the green skinned Warhammer or World of Warcraft Orks. I wanted something a bit different.

My game world is set perhaps half a million years in to the future. Mankind had screwed up the climate and nearly exterminated themselves. But some humans managed to cryogenically freeze them selves in crypts buried deep underground. Others underwent experimental gene therapy to create human animal hybrids who could survive the harsh environment of this post apocalyptic Earth. These creatures multiplied and mutated, some types were more stable than others and settled down in to a number of distinct species. the Orcs are one of the most advanced and dangerous of these monsters.


I was inspired in part by this illustration:


I didn't want to make my orcs black, there's already a racial element to these monsters, so I decided to make them white. I was influenced by a picture of an albino gorilla. But I also used textures from an albino turtle and an all white penguin. For armor I decided to give them a kind of Mongolian style armor as in the picture above.


The orcs are not stupid creatures. Like the Mongols they have quite efficient weapons and armor. They are savage, but not unthinking. They are one of the most dangerous humanoid creatures you'll find in the game, with only their lack of magic ability keeping them from being the most dangerous.

I plan do do something with goblins along a similar line too, though with more focus on scaly wrinkled flesh and less hair.


In game the orcs use the same armature as the lizard men sharing many animations. Orcs are similar to lizard men in their size and strength but they are generally more dangerous because of their better equipment and the fact they are warm blooded. Lizard men do sometimes use iron weapons if they can find them, but usually they use wood, bone or stone weapons which are not very effective against armored opponents.

When I was a kid I used to read books like the Hobbit and my imagination used to make pictures in my head. I had a definite idea of what hobbits and elves and orcs looked like and I could imagine them all as I read the words on the page. I don't want my monsters to look exactly the same as every other game out there. I want to make something a little different, something like those monsters that lived in my head as a boy as I read books about strange lands and strange beasts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automating Level imports from Blender to Godot

  Recently I've been making some levels in Blender an importing them into Godot. There are only about 7 or 8 shaders for each level, not counting dynamic objects which will be added later. But to improve rendering performance, it can be a good idea to split the meshes up into sections. At that point you might be faced with a list like this: Or it might be even more chaotic, if you didn't use simple names for the objects in your level. So it can take a long time to sort out all the meshes, make them unique and add textures and so on. Blender imports with simple Blender textures, or with placeholder materials. This is sometimes OK, but if your Godot shaders are very different to those used by Blender, it means applying new materials to every mesh object in the level when you import the scene. I found that during the design process, I was importing and readying a level several times before I was happy with the final layout. So at first I was wasting a lot of time. In Blender, I us

Upstairs / Downstairs.

I've decided to make my prefabs multilevel. Later this should allow me to add pit traps and other great stuff. It also makes it easier to line up stairs so that you can exit them on the same co-ordinates where you entered them. The prefab editor is pretty much finished, it just needs some code for loading up prefabs from a saved dictionary, so that they can be checked or edited. The entries will need to be forwards compatible, so I'll be loading each tile and then translating the indexes to a new array, that way if I add extra indexes or extra info (like traps or puzzles) I'll be able to update existing prefabs to work with the new standard. Click for a video.

Make your game models POP with fake rim lighting.

I was watching one of my son's cartoons today and I noticed they models were using serious amounts of simulated rim lighting . Even though it wasn't a dark scene where you'd usually see such an effect, the result was actually quite effective. The white edge highlighting and ambient occluded creases give a kind of high contrast that is similar to, but different from traditional comic book ink work. I'll be honest, I don't know if there's a specific term for this effect in 3d design, since my major at university was in traditional art. I learned it as part of photography. You can find plenty of tutorials on "what is rim lighting" for photography. It basically means putting your main sources of light behind your subject so that they are lit around the edges. It can produce very arresting photographs, either with an obvious effect when used on a dark subject ... ..,or as part of a fully lit scene to add some subtle highlights. See ho