Skip to main content

Vermin.

Some of the new small monsters.

Every RPG has different stages of character development, or acts;
  • Act I the noobs. 
  • Act II the experienced party. 
  • Act III the epic characters.
  • Act IV the demigods.
My own favorite stage is the first one. Everything can be dangerous to your party, every piece of treasure is potentially useful, every roleplaying quest seems worth doing just to try and grab some XP without fighting.

After that the experienced party part is still pretty fun, as you try to tweak your characters' skills and equipment, trying to get the most from your team or single character if you're playing a solo game.

Epic characters are only fun if you got them to that point yourself. Being dumped in to a campaign with a pre-written high level character is a pain (There are so many things about the character that just don't fit your "style") and even so I often end up restarting once I get to this point just to see if I can do "better" at making my characters now I understand the game mechanics more fully.

Beyond epic the game gets mighty boring. You've already got a couple of + 5 swords and platemail of demonic regeneration. Your character can defeat any enemy unless they have a special instant kill attack or you get hit with some kind of mind control attack which takes away control of the player, and neither of them are fun. What can you do with roleplaying? You went to the deepest level of hell last weak and killed a greater daemon. Two weeks ago you killed a minor god and stole the key to the underworld. What's left to do? Oh, the inn keeper has some rats in his cellar. Oh dear.

Anyway, what I'm aiming at with my own project is to try to keep gameplay within the first two Acts of player development. When you get to Act III it's time to hang up your sword and move on to a possible future game. Epic characters are not within the scope of this project (though there may be a future expansion to cover them).

That means I have to flesh out the early game a lot more than is usually done. Act I has to go on more than the 20 minutes it usually takes, and it has to be interesting. In so many game systems level 1 or 2 characters are so weak and defenseless it's just a matter of luck who survives or not. Most of even the lowest level monsters have a good chance of killing a level 1 character with one attack.

So I'm working on some special weak monsters for low level encounters.

These monsters are very puny. They can't really do enough damage to kill you unless you're very careless. They have a number of nuisance attacks however, such as mild venom or diseased bites. These will force the player to take steps to avoid them but won't doom the party to death if they can't get away, for example if a mob is guarding the only entrance to the next level.

You could consider these enemies to be level zero. There will be a chance of some tougher enemies spawning alone in the early levels, perhaps guarding some choice items of treasure, but mostly game play will be about trying to avoid these nasty critters until you've had a chance to get a few experience points and grab some basic gear.

Of course, this is all theory, we'll see how it turns out when the game is actually working properly. I took some giant steps towards that point today with a rewrite of some of the core code. Things are already looking a lot tidier and things are in place so that I can proceed with moving some of the functions (such as tile reveal and lighting control) off in to dedicated scripts where they won't be interfering so much with the basic workings of movement and combat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automating Level imports from Blender to Godot

  Recently I've been making some levels in Blender an importing them into Godot. There are only about 7 or 8 shaders for each level, not counting dynamic objects which will be added later. But to improve rendering performance, it can be a good idea to split the meshes up into sections. At that point you might be faced with a list like this: Or it might be even more chaotic, if you didn't use simple names for the objects in your level. So it can take a long time to sort out all the meshes, make them unique and add textures and so on. Blender imports with simple Blender textures, or with placeholder materials. This is sometimes OK, but if your Godot shaders are very different to those used by Blender, it means applying new materials to every mesh object in the level when you import the scene. I found that during the design process, I was importing and readying a level several times before I was happy with the final layout. So at first I was wasting a lot of time. In Blender, I us

Upstairs / Downstairs.

I've decided to make my prefabs multilevel. Later this should allow me to add pit traps and other great stuff. It also makes it easier to line up stairs so that you can exit them on the same co-ordinates where you entered them. The prefab editor is pretty much finished, it just needs some code for loading up prefabs from a saved dictionary, so that they can be checked or edited. The entries will need to be forwards compatible, so I'll be loading each tile and then translating the indexes to a new array, that way if I add extra indexes or extra info (like traps or puzzles) I'll be able to update existing prefabs to work with the new standard. Click for a video.

Make your game models POP with fake rim lighting.

I was watching one of my son's cartoons today and I noticed they models were using serious amounts of simulated rim lighting . Even though it wasn't a dark scene where you'd usually see such an effect, the result was actually quite effective. The white edge highlighting and ambient occluded creases give a kind of high contrast that is similar to, but different from traditional comic book ink work. I'll be honest, I don't know if there's a specific term for this effect in 3d design, since my major at university was in traditional art. I learned it as part of photography. You can find plenty of tutorials on "what is rim lighting" for photography. It basically means putting your main sources of light behind your subject so that they are lit around the edges. It can produce very arresting photographs, either with an obvious effect when used on a dark subject ... ..,or as part of a fully lit scene to add some subtle highlights. See ho